Terms and conditions
Last update: 14th Feb. 2014
- "This website" or "The website" means London Street Views 1840.
- "We / us" means Museum of London
- "You" means a user of the website
- "Users" means collectively users of the website
- "Crowdsourcing" in this context means outsourcing a specific task to a distributed group of people who are not employed by the Crowdsourcer (in this case Museum of London).
- "Crowdsourced" means data/information that has been gathered through crowdsourcing.
- Information linking particular business names to particular buildings and particular objects to buildings contained in this website has been ‘crowdsourced’. This means that the links have been made by members of the public. The Museum of London can therefore not be held responsible for the accuracy of this data.
- All other information available on this website has been created by the Museum of London which is committed to the highest standard and quality of information and every attempt has been made to present up-to-date accurate information. However, Museum of London gives no warranty as to the accuracy of the information on the website.
- Museum of London shall not be liable for any losses or damages arising from your use of the website, including reliance on information contained on the website, other than in respect of death or personal injury caused by our negligence or in respect of fraud.
- Museum of London may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice.
- Although Museum of London takes all reasonable measures to ensure that the information provided to it from third parties is accurate and not defamatory or offensive it cannot control the content or take responsibility for pages maintained by external providers or linked pages.
3. User agreement
The Museum of London is running a series of pilot crowdsourcing projects. Data from these projects is used for research purposes and to enhance the user experience. This document describes how your contributions will be used if you choose to contribute and what data we collect, how we use it and how we protect it.
3.2 What you agree to when contributing to London Street Views 1840
Crowdsourcing projects are useful to enable the Museum to carry out tasks that would otherwise be impractical (for reasons of time and/or resources).
The major goal for this project is for the analysed data to be available to the researchers for use, modification and redistribution in order to further historical research. Therefore, if you contribute to this project, you grant the Museum of London and its collaborators, non-exclusive permission to use your contributions.
3.3 What you may do with London Street Views 1840 data
See also Section 5.5
3.4 Legal details
By contributing to this site, you agree to grant the Museum a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub-licensable license to: use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to your contribution worldwide and/or to incorporate your contribution in other works in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your contribution.
If you do not want to grant the Museum the rights above, please do not contribute to this project.
By participating in the London Street Views 1840 project, you:
- Warrant that your contribution contains only data that you have the right to make available to the Museum of London for all the purposes specified above, is not defamatory, and does not infringe any law; and
4 Privacy and data protection statement
This is the current Privacy and Data Protection Statement for London Street Views 1840. If this Privacy Statement is revised an updated version will be placed on the website. This Privacy and data protection statement describes what data we collect, how we use it and how we protect it.
In addition to the contributions you make outlined above, we collect a username and password from you and also your email address as part of the functioning of this website. This information allows the Museum to identify individual users and contact them for evaluation purposes (if permission is granted to do so). It also allows the user to log back in to the site at a later data if they would like to do so.
4.1 Policy and personal data
The Museum of London endeavours to protect your privacy.
Museum of London does not intentionally export user data outside the European Union and holds only the information that you supply to us, along with details of the activities you have undertaken on the London Street Views 1840 site.
See also Section 4.6
4.2 What we do with the information we gather
We will not use your contact information for commercial purposes.
We may use your email address to get in touch to ask you to help us evaluate the website (but only if you tick the box allowing us to do so).
4.3 What is shared with third parties
Museum of London will not sell or pass your information on to any third parties without first obtaining your consent.
Museum of London may provide aggregate statistics about website usage and related site information on the website and also provide statistics to Government agencies and other public bodies, but these will not include any personally identifying information. Please note in particular that statistical records of pages visited by Users are maintained whether or not they have registered.
Museum of London may monitor user traffic on an aggregate basis in order to help it develop and improve the website for the benefit of all Users.
You are advised that the Internet is not a secure medium. Museum of London will use reasonable endeavours to keep your information confidential. Internal procedures cover the storage access and disclosure of your information.
4.6 Transmission of data outside the EU
Because the Internet infrastructure is global and it is not possible to predict the routes that information sent over the Internet will take, the information you provide may be transferred temporarily via a route which takes it outside the European Economic Area as it passes between you and Museum of London. By submitting your information you consent to this transfer.
Museum of London may disclose personal information if required to do so by Law or if in good faith believes it is required to do so by any order of the Courts or other competent body or agency or may do so to protect or defend the rights or property of Museum of London or to protect the personal safety of Museum of London's employees or the public at large.
This website may have links to other websites which will have different privacy, trading and use policies and conditions and you should familiarise yourself with the same.
4.9 Data protection
Museum of London uses all reasonable endeavours to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the following principles:
- Personal data should be processed fairly and lawfully. This means that individuals should not be deceived or misled into supplying information.
- Data should only be obtained for a specified purpose and should not be used for any other purpose.
- Personal data should be adequate relevant and not excessive in relation to its purpose.
- Personal data should be accurate and up to date where necessary.
- Personal data should not be kept longer than is needed for its intended purpose.
- Personal data should be processed in accordance with the rights of the individual which the information concerns.
- Appropriate measures should be taken against unlawful processing or destruction of records. Computer systems should have back up facilities and security provisions.
- Personal data should not be transferred outside the European Economic Area (the EU states plus Lichtenstein, Iceland and Norway).
See Museum of London's "Freedom of information page" which provides Users with guidance about their rights of access to information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Data Protection Act 1998.
For more information on the Data Protection Act 1998, you can call (UK) 01625 545 700.
5 Terms & conditions of use of the London Street Views 1840 website
In accessing information from the website you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions of Use as set out below.
These Terms and Conditions of Use may change periodically. Please check this website frequently to see recent changes. The date when these Terms and Conditions of Use were last updated will be displayed. If you do not agree to any change you should not continue to use the website.
The website contains proprietary notices and copyright information the terms of which you agree to observe and follow.
You assume full responsibility for the protection of your computer system including computer hardware, software and stored data on your computer system including hardware, software and stored data of third parties who may access or be otherwise connected to your computer system. You will assume the responsibility of ensuring that programs or other data downloaded or otherwise received from this website are free from viruses, worms, Trojan horses or other items of a destructive nature. We would advise you to run an up-to-date anti-virus program on anything you download from the Internet.
You must take reasonable precautions to prevent the fraudulent use of your security details including password and must notify Museum of London in the event that you suspect a third party has obtained your security details.
In accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Museum of London will take reasonable steps to ensure that data transmitted electronically to Museum of London via the website or otherwise, and stored by Museum of London is not accessed by unauthorised third parties. You accept the risk that data transmitted electronically to Museum of London via the website or otherwise may be intercepted before reaching Museum of London or accessed from Museum of London's data storage by third parties not authorised by Museum of London and may be exploited unlawfully by such unauthorised third parties.
Museum of London makes no representations as to the security, quality or propriety of any website which may be accessed through the website and accepts no liability for the content or for any loss or damage caused or alleged to have been caused by the use of or reliance on information contained in such websites or goods or services purchased from them. Connected websites accessed through the website are independent websites over which Museum of London does not exercise any control whether financial, editorial or of any other kind and are not in any way endorsed by Museum of London.
Information contained in the website may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical mistakes and should not be relied on as totally accurate. Information may be changed or updated without notice. For general content queries relating to the website email us.
5.4 Warranty and liability
All information made available from within the website is provided "as is" for information purposes only and should not be relied on as totally accurate. See Disclaimer.
No employee or agent of Museum of London is authorised to recommend non-approved uses and you should not rely on any such recommendations.
Museum of London will only be liable to you for any losses resulting from the use of the website in the following circumstances:-
- where the losses are suffered as a result of Museum of London breaking any term of the Conditions of Use and/or General Conditions of Sale/Special Conditions; or
- where there is a breach of a legal duty of care owed to you by Museum of London or any employees or agents of Museum of London; and
- provided the losses are a foreseeable consequence of Museum of London breaking the Conditions of Use and/or General Conditions of Sale/Special Conditions; Losses are foreseeable where they could be contemplated by the User and Museum of London at the time the website is made available to the User.
Museum of London will not be liable for:
- indirect losses which happen as a side effect of the main loss or damage and which are not foreseeable;
- any increase in loss or damage resulting from breach by you of any term of the Conditions of Use and/or General Conditions of Sale/Special Conditions;
- any loss or damage resulting from the use of any other website connected to the website by means of a hypertext link or any other link;
- any loss of profits or other economic loss resulting from the use of the website for business purposes
Museum of London accepts no responsibility whatsoever for any data corruption, interception or delay or any inaccuracies or errors that may occur except in consumer sales to the extent that Museum of London or its employees or agents is in breach of its agreement with you, negligent or in breach of its statutory duty when the provisions of Clauses 4.3 and 4.4 above will apply.
Nothing in these terms shall exclude Museum of London's liability for death or personal injury arising from the negligence of Museum of London, its employees, agents or contractors resulting from the use of the website.
Museum of London publishes the images and information on the website in good faith. Museum of London will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that all intellectual property rights are respected and that the information and images are accurate and neither defamatory nor offensive.^ back to top
5.5 Copyright etc
The website belongs in all respects to Museum of London.
All intellectual property rights in all material on the website including copyright, database right, first publication rights, patents, registered trade marks, know-how, intellectual or industrial property rights including format, art direction, look and feel and content subsisting throughout the World shall vest in Museum of London and other copyright owners as specified.
None of the data or content found on the website may be reproduced, published, distributed, posted or transferred, modified or linked to another website without the express written permission of Museum of London (apart from as stipulated in section 3.3). Any trade mark, logo, crest or other identifiable emblem of Museum of London shall remain the property of Museum of London at all times and no licence or right to use any of the same shall be granted or implied in any way.
Users may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, reproduce, publish, licence or create derivative works or sell any information obtained from the website. Users may download information or images for private non-commercial viewing purposes only unless permitted for the purpose of making an offer appropriate to the goods or services required.
All images and text are subject to copyright protection.
Museum of London is committed to respecting the intellectual property rights of others and has taken all reasonable efforts to trace the copyright owners of images and obtain permissions for reproductions in this website.
In the event that any of the un-traceable copyright owners come forward after the publication of this website, Museum of London will endeavour to rectify the position accordingly.
Any queries in this respect should be addressed to:
The Picture Library Manager
Museum of London
London EC2Y 5HN
tel: 020 7814 5604
fax: 020 7600 1058
Or email enquiries to [email protected]^ back to top
5.6 Availability of website
Museum of London will use its reasonable endeavours to ensure the availability of the website and that transmissions are error free. However, due to the nature of the Internet it is not technically possible for Museum of London to provide a completely fault free service and Museum of London gives no guarantees or warranties express or implied as to the quality or reliability of access to the website.
Museum of London reserves the right to suspend or cancel the website or refuse access to it immediately and without notice in order to maintain, repair or update the website or if it is necessary for legal reasons. However, Museum of London will where possible give notice of any suspension or cancellation on the website.
The failure by Museum of London to enforce any term or condition hereof shall not be deemed as a waiver of the right to enforce such term or condition.
The website is situated in London England and all the Terms and Conditions of Use shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
In the event of any queries about how to use the website, please email us at [email protected].^ back to top
A cookie is a small file which stores information that a website puts on your hard disk so that it can remember something about you at a later time. Typically, a cookie records your preferences when using a particular site. See below for our cookies policy.^ back to top
6 Museum of London Cookies Policy
Since 26 May 2011, there is a legal requirement that cookies on websites can only be used with your specific consent. Museum of London is currently working on a solution to obtain your consent without compromising your enjoyment of the site.
As we use a number of cookies to operate this site, we have created this page to explain our cookies policy.
This statement applies only to Museum of London websites. It does not cover any external sites that we may link to, so you should always be aware of this if you move to another site and be sure to read the privacy statement on that site.
6.1 What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small data file that is created by web browsers and stored on your computer or mobile device. This data file stores the information you provide us with and in doing so enables us to 'remember' you on repeat visits, effectively letting you move around the site without having to keep reintroducing yourself.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically, and if your browser’s preferences allow it, each website or third party service provider is able to send a cookie to your browser. However, to protect your privacy, your browser only allows these websites or third party service providers to access cookies already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites or other third party service providers.
Cookies record information about your online preferences, which are then used to tailor our website to your individual preferences, such as the look and feel of the site. You can set your devices to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time. However, if you choose the third option, please bear in mind that you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the features on our site. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to find out how to change your cookie preferences. See section 4 for further information on controlling and deleting cookies.
The site uses temporary session cookies to allow logged-in functionality. This data is not stored beyond a single session.
The Museum of London uses Google Analytics, a web analytics services. Google Analytics set cookies in order to help us understand, evaluate and optimise the use of Museum of London websites.
Some anonymous log-file information is also collected automatically when you visit the site:
- your IP (Internet Protocol) address;
- your browser and operating system;
- the date and time of your visit;
- the pages you request;
- This information is used to analyse overall patterns of web site use.
6.3 Third Party Cookies on Museum of London pages
This site may have links to websites owned and operated by third parties. However, we are not responsible for their privacy policies, including cookies, and we advise you to review them.
6.4 Cookies used on Museum of London websites
Below is a list of the cookies set by the Museum of London websites, and what each is used for.
|Session cookie||sessionState||This cookie is used to remember information between one page view and the next.|
|These are the Google Analytics cookies which are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and what pages they have visited.|
6.5 How to control and delete cookies
If you wish to restrict or block the cookies which are set by us on our websites, or indeed any other website, you can do this through your browser settings.
If you wish to decline cookies, please select the browser you are using from the list below and follow the instructions to prevent cookies being served to you during your visit.
- Firefox http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Blocking%20cookies
- Chrome http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=95647
- Internet Explorer http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Block-or-allow-cookies
- Safari http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Safari/5.0/en/9277.html
- iPhone/iPad Safari http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677
- Opera http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/security/privacy/
Alternatively, you may wish to visit the external website www.aboutcookies.org, which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers. You will also find details on how to delete cookies from your computer as well as more general information about cookies.
For information on how to do this on your mobile phone browser, you will need to refer to your handset manual.