Rathbone Place > Division 1
Issue number 64 of Tallis's 'London street views' showing 1-58 Rathbone Place. At no. 38 is Winsor and Newton, colour makers and artists' colour men. The company was founded in 1832 by William Winsor and Henry Newton and was based in Henry's home at 38 Rathbone Place. By 1844 production was based in a specially built steam-powered factory at Kentish Town, known as the North London Colour Works. In 1938 colour manufacture transferred to a factory in Wealdstone and the administrative offices moved to Wealdstone from Rathbone Place in 1939. The following year Rathbone Place was destroyed in the London blitz.