St. James's Street > Division 1
Issue number 14 of Tallis's 'London street views', showing nos. 1-88 St. James's Street. Next to no. 53 is Crockford's Club House, a gentlemen's club established in 1828. William Crockford was the son of a fishmonger but became wealthy through gambling. In 1826 he commissioned Benjamin and Philip Wyatt to build a gambling palace on the site of four houses in St James's Street. Crockford's Club House opened in 1828, and members enjoyed free wine and food, the latter produced by Louis Eustache Ude. When Crockford died in 1844 he left his wife £350,000 in personal property and real estate. Without its owner’s gaming prowess, the club declined but later re-emerged as the Devonshire Club.