London Street Views 1840 London Street Views 1840

Oxford Street > Division 2

Issue number 34 of Tallis's 'London street views' showing 41-89 and 347-394 Oxford Street. Between 359 and 360 Oxford Street can be seen the Pantheon, designed as a set of assembly rooms by James Wyatt, which opened on 27 January 1772. Horace Walpole declared it the most beautiful edifice in England. Twenty years later it was severely damaged by fire and had to be rebuilt. By the time of Tallis's street view the interior had been stripped of its fittings and converted into the Pantheon Bazaar. In 1937 the building was purchased by Marks and Spencer who demolished it and built a shop.

Back
Key: Data has been added but not checked   Data had been added and checked
Note: If no label then no data has been added
Contribute to this project

South side of the street

map - Tallis's London street views : No. 34. Oxford Street, division 2 (south)
Contribute to this project

North side of the street

map - Tallis's London street views : No. 34. Oxford Street, division 2 (north)

Additional items from guides

Show moreShow less