Oxford Street > Division 5
Issue number 48 of Tallis's 'London street views' showing nos.161-200 and 261-292 Oxford Street. At no. 264 is the aptly named Mary Mash, potato dealer while at 176 is Gillow & Co. The famous Lancaster firm of Gillows opened a London branch in Oxford Street in 1764, supplying high quality furniture to wealthy clients. However, financial problems lead to an arrangement with Waring of Liverpool and the company became known as Waring and Gillow in 1903. It developed a reputation for fitting out liners such as the Lusitania.