London Street Views 1840 London Street Views 1840

Charles Street and Mortimer Street > Division 1

Issue number 65 of Tallis's 'London street views' showing nos. 1-48 Charles Street and nos. 1-10 and 60-67 Mortimer Street. The featured building in this issue is Middlesex Hospital which has its origins in The Middlesex Infirmary which opened in 1745 in nearby Windmill Street. The foundation stone for the second hospital, in Mortimer Street, was laid in May 1755 by by the Earl of Northumberland and additional wings were added in 1766 and 1780. A medical school was built in 1835, and further building works took place throughout the nineteenth century. The hospital was rebuilt in 1935 and demolished in 2008.

Back
Key: Data has been added but not checked   Data had been added and checked
Note: If no label then no data has been added
Contribute to this project

North side of the street

map - Tallis's London street views : No. 65. Charles Street and Mortimer Street (north)
Contribute to this project

South side of the street

map - Tallis's London street views : No. 65. Charles Street and Mortimer Street (south)

Additional items from guides

Show moreShow less